Deelicious Recipes: La-la-la-Lasagna!

This is a kraftrecipes.com image, but
lasagna's lasagna.

Soooo I can't think of anything to rant about (for once), and a friend of mine requested this recipe from me, so, viola! Lasagna! A staple recipe of any dago's kitchen. 


Don't be intimidated by the amount of ingredients in this recipe. It takes a bit of prep, but it's easy to make, and it's tasty as hell.

By the way, I use Hunts for all of my canned tomato products. You don't have to, it's just my preference.

Dee's Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles
1 lb Italian sausage (sweet or spicy, it's up to you)
1 lb ground beef
1 big can crushed tomatoes (26 or 28 oz, I can't remember. A big can!)
2 (6 or 7 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 or 7 oz) cans tomato paste

1/2 chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup water
Sprinkling of sugar (I know, no measurements, I'm sorry! Just enough to cut the acidity of the sauce...uh....maybe a Tablespoon.)
Garlic! (I know, I know!...maybe like 1 or 2 teaspoons.)
Four or so leaves ripped up fresh basil (or around 2 tsps dried basil)
1 tsp oregano
1/2-1 tsp fennel seeds (they're delicious!)
Slightly more than a pinch of Salt (bite me, dammit, just taste as you go.)
Pepper to taste (I use white pepper)

16 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 lb mozzarella cheese (I use deli slices, SO easy to layer)
1 cup parmesan/romano cheese

-In a VERY large pot, cook onion, garlic, sausage, and ground beef until browned. Add crushed tomatoes/paste/sauce, water, sugar, and spices. Simmer for a couple of hours. Be sure to stir and taste frequently.

-Make lasagna noodles. Please don't tell me you don't know how to make noodles. You'll make me cry.

-Add egg to ricotta cheese in mixing bowl with a teensy bit of salt. I also like to put in a bit of oregano.

-Heat oven to 375 F.

-TIME TO ASSEMBLE! In a baking dish, I believe 9x13 inch, spread a thin layer of the meat sauce along the bottom. The layers go like this:
         Noodles (enough to cover the layer of meat sauce on the bottom)
         Ricotta cheese
         Mozzarella cheese slices
         Meat Sauce
         Parmesan Romano cheese
         Repeat!

-Cover with foil, putting space between the foil and the cheese layer (it'll stick if it touches) and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Remove from oven, nom intensively.

This lasagna can feed a small army, so I recommend using this recipe for company. It's not exactly a one person dish.




Comments

  1. I love the idea of using sliced cheese, that makes so much more since then the shredded I use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts