Book Bonanza! (...sorry): Dee's KonMari Adventure


            When I tell people in my life that I’m doing an extreme form of decluttering, I am typically met with one of two responses: “Cool!” and “Oh, God I need to do that so badly.”

            I think that we Americans are well aware of our issues with owning more than we actually need. We know that our basements, closets, and storage lockers are stuffed with things that are unnecessary. When we do dig in and finally do the work to sift through our countless items, and we dump garbage bags full of the things we bought to donation stations, we feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than loss. We know that we have done a good thing for ourselves by getting rid of excess crap.

            I have found that this awareness is hurled out the window when it comes to books.


            I have to admit, I was a bit bored with the idea of “KonMariing” my books. I doubted it would take me longer than an hour to do. They’re my books. I’m a lifelong bookworm and writer who has worked at multiple Barnes and Noble stores and would have married the Beast on the spot if he had offered me the library he had offered Belle. I have lovingly hauled my little library in insanely heavy boxes and crates from apartment to apartment for years. There was no way I was getting rid of more than…three?...of my beloved books. I even decided to use the KonMari Book Day as an opportunity to re-organize my books in a fun way, you know, to make the whole excursion worth my while.

            I set down a blanket on my floor for my books (because they’re too precious to be placed on the bare floor!) and yanked every one of them out of their hiding places. Then I lovingly stacked them on the blanket…and ran out of room. Almost immediately, I began to realize that I may have been wrong. Not only was this going to take longer than an hour, but I might actually have a legitimate pile of books to get rid of by the end of this. As I pulled my books down from the shelves and saw them in my hands, many of them for the first time since I put them there, I noticed that I didn’t love a lot of the books in my collection. I didn’t even like many of them.

            What the fuck?!

            I tell you, I make fun of Marie Kondo constantly, but this method continuously surprises me by how goddamn effective it really is.

            I, like many of my bookworm brethren, take almost unnatural pride in my book collection. And it is a collection. If I had left my books on the shelf, ignoring the KonMari doctrine of the shame pile, I probably would have glanced at the spines, pulled out one or two books to get rid of, and checked “Books” off my list. My collection would have remained intact, spread across four bookcases, (and my bedroom, and my office, and my kitchen,) and I would have had dozens of heavy boxes to pack when we move from here in July. No clutter lost.

            But because I adhered to the KonMari shame pile and handled my books one at a time, I saw them for their individual value, rather than their volume as a collection, for the first time in years. (ladies and gentlemen, the aesthetic SENTENCE break!) And I realized that the idea of a Beauty and the Beast library full of books is great, but if it’s a library full of books I don’t really care about, then I…don’t…want the library.

            I think my inner bookworm just imploded.

            Like all arrogant twat waffles, I hate it when I’m wrong; especially when I’m proven wrong by someone or something I didn’t take fully seriously before. Kondo’s tone and her tendency to exaggerate the benefits of her method made it impossible for me to truly take her seriously. But just like last week, when I scoffed at her tone and missed the larger message of respecting your possessions, I have to eat my hat.

            Kondo constantly and explicitly states that one must look at every individual item in their life in order to truly take stock of what one values. I thought I had learned that lesson with my clothing, but apparently I still had a mental block when it came to something I thought I truly valued: My book collection. In researching the KonMari method, I came across those angry anti-Kondo posts I mentioned previously, and I noticed that many of them didn’t fully adhere to the method. They went by room, rather than by category, or they kept their books on the shelves while they sifted because they thought pulling everything down that was already organized was a waste of time.

            Well, I can tell you now that following the KonMari method as closely as possible is vital to the success of my ultimate goal: To live with less shit. If I hadn’t looked at my book collection individually, as I said before, I would have kept the vast majority of it. I wouldn’t have realized that I was really only holding on to my religious texts in order to make my bookshelf (and, by extension, me) look smart and well-read. I wouldn’t have realized that I had outgrown many of the writing instruction books I had accumulated over the years, or that I’m not as interested in astrology now as I was when I was a teenager, or that I had TWO FUCKING COPIES OF LIVING BIBLICALLY WHEN I KNOW I HAD ALREADY GOTTEN RID OF ONE COPY A YEAR AGO.

            Sorry. I swear to God, that book clones itself.

            Adesso, as I added book after book to the laundry basket destined for Half-Price Books, I did not feel a sense of loss. I did not panic because my glorious book collection was shrinking. I felt better and better letting go of each old textbook and lost interest.

            Kondo puts a special emphasis on books in her…book…and I think it’s because of people like me who take pride in the volume of books they own. She claimed that getting rid of your book collection, and looking at the ones you do keep, might help you find your “true path” in life. I laughed at this. I mean, I understood the point behind it—you realize what you’re really interested in by the books that ‘spark joy’—but it just seemed funny. Could someone be so un-self-aware? Yes, I just made up a word.

            Well, I didn’t discover a new passion, but I did learn something about myself. Whenever I hesitated to let go of a book I didn’t really love, it was often because I was thinking of what someone else would think if they saw the book on my shelf. If I keep these religious texts, they’ll know that I like studying theology. If I keep my old Plato textbook, they’ll know I’m philosophical. I can’t let go of classic literature even if I don’t like the story—how will they know I’m a literary intellectual?!

            More than a third of the books I ended up getting rid of served as nothing but monuments to my own intellect. Like literary trophies, they took up space on my bookshelf on the off chance that someone would study my books and think, “ooh, this girl is so worldly and smart!”

            I always knew I had a bit of an ego when it came to my intelligence, but it took KonMari to make me realize just how insecure I can be about it.**

            I’m still a bit angry with myself for holding on to so many useless books for sheer intellectual narcissism, but I am glad I realized it, and can let it, and the books, go. By the end of my Book adventure, I had a laundry basket full of tomes. I turned to the books I decided to keep and realized that, holy shit, they can all fit on a single bookcase.

            So, I decided to do something that struck fear into the heart of every bookish friend I told. I arranged my books by colour.

            Not alphabetically by title or author name. Not by subject. Not by series.

            By colour, motherfucker.

            If you’re not the bookish type, I’ll spell it out for you: This is organizational madness. Book series are separated and scattered about, fiction fornicates with nonfiction, chaos reigns and Melvil Dewey curses from the underworld.

            Many bookish friends freaked out, as I knew they would. “How will you find anything?!” was their rallying cry.

            Enter my fetish for organizing.

            When I committed to arranging my books by colour, I knew I would have one fuck of a time finding a book if I didn’t remember what the spine looked like. I decided to make an Excel spreadsheet of my beloved collection, arranged by title, with the book’s colour category included. Because my collection was so diminished, it only took me a couple of hours to do. A friend later recommended a phone app, Book Catalogue, to me, and I did that as well. If I want to find a book of mine, all I need to do is look at my spreadsheet or my app, and boom. Cloud Atlas is in the yellow section. Five seconds of browsing, and book found. Time for some semi-spiritual multi-genre adventures.

            So, how did the colour coded bookshelf turn out? Pretty damned gorgeous.

Ignore the chair with my laptop
as I created my book spreadsheet.
                                                     

            It’s not as pretty as the Pinterest posts that inspired it, because it turns out that most of my books’ spines are black, but I am incredibly happy. My book collection is smaller than I ever thought it would be, but it is full of books I love, organized, and it is pretty as fuck. It is also all for me. Most people arrange their books the way libraries or bookstores do, because said arrangements make it easy for people to find what they’re looking for. My bookshelf isn’t organized for ‘people’ anymore. It’s organized for me, and full of books that I like. I no longer care if my bibliophile guests happen to glance at it and can glean my intellectual prowess from it (who even does that with friends’ bookshelves, anyway?)

            Book day was my most rewarding KonMari day so far. This week, I begin to tackle Miscellany, or, as Kondo calls it, Komono, so we’re in more varied territory, and I have a feeling it’s going to feel a lot more like dreaded spring cleaning than tranquil de-cluttering. This is going to feel like real work. This week, I tackle the “General” (dvds, cords and remotes, pet stuff, etc,) and another obsession of mine in which my ego is wrapped up: The Kitchen.

Pray for me, children.

 CATEGORY 2 STATS

Hours: 5, including the hours it took to create my spreadsheets/plug my books into my app.
Bags of Stuff: 1 laundry basket. And, new category,
Profit: $35

Well, actually, I only made $30, because I ended up buying a book while I was at Half Price........The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo.

You made it to my permanent bookshelf, Kondo. Enjoy the Blue section.



PHOTO MONTAGE!

My book pile, stacked up, from the shelves only.

My ego-driven religious possessions.

Why...do I have the Ohio Criminal Code from 2008...?

This is a fun series, but I don't really love it. Those who
read it know that it's essentially the same book, over and over
again. I sent these to my mother, since we 'co-own' the series.
Not pictured: the twelve hundred other books in this series.

Here was a little conundrum. The first three books in
The Vampire Chronicles are some of my favourite books of all time,
and they have had a profound influence over my life.
However, the rest of the series is rough, and
THIS book was just...HORRIBLE. So, do I keep it because
it is part of a series I love?
Nope. I pitched it.

There is no reason to hold on to
playbills. I don't know a single person
in the cast. I just love Phantom. Pitch it!

Too lazy for the lazy couponer.

Another bad habit of mine that I discovered:
I buy joke books, read them once, and never
read them again.

This was the book that first got me into belly dance.
I ended up keeping it for sheer nostalgic value.

Of course I kept this. Are you kidding?

My childhood Phantom book.
I'll probably be buried with this.

Writing books I outgrew.

I SWEAR TO GOD, IT CLONES ITSELF.

My cleaning inspired my husband
to do the same with his books.
He didn't arrange them by colour,
but they look great!




**All around my Facebook page, my friends are screaming, “No shit, Sherlock.”

Comments

Popular Posts