My Top 11 Nostalgia Critic Episodes

Oh, NC, I less than three you. <3


            I received some seriously horrible news a few weeks ago that I’m still trying to absorb and accept. After four years of cracking me up, making me think, and  inspiring me to make Redbox runs, The Nostalgia Critic, one of my favourite web personalities/series of all time, is over.

            I am so. Fucking. SAD!

            When I heard the news I actually cried (don’t judge me.) Other than the Jokerblogs, I’ve never really been one for internet sensations. But NC grabbed me early and held onto me til the end. For those of you who don’t know (shame!), The Nostalgia Critic is a series which reviews movies, TV shows, and even commercials from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. It’s cleverly written and absolutely hilarious, even early on when it was just Doug Walker (who plays the Critic) doing the reviews on Youtube as a hobby. I have to say, this show is exceptional. Like many people with favourite TV shows, NC was a rare comfort during some rough patches in my life, something I could rely on to lift my spirits. Even during the hardest times, I was guaranteed a laugh on a weekly basis.

            Ladies and gentlemen, the aesthetic paragraph break.

What really kept me hooked on this series, though, is the fact that it made me look back on old movies of my past with a fresh eye, and it really put me into the habit of thinking during movies, rather than simply experiencing them as a way to kill a couple of hours. Movies, books, TV shows, and other forms of fiction have always been a huge part of my life (in case you couldn’t tell), and it was beneficial to me as a writer to really well and truly break that fourth wall and dig into the minds of the writers, producers, directors, actors, and sociology of movies. Watching NC really got me routinely asking questions as I watched a movie: Why did they go with this storyline? Was that line natural to the character or just something the director threw in? How was it influenced by the culture of the era in which it was created? Really opening my eyes and seeing the Movie Matrix, rather than just taking a film for what it was, improved my ability to create sensible, smooth(ish) plotlines, deeper, non-stereotypical characters, and stop myself from cutting corners or being lazy with my own writing projects. I remember sifting through the first half of my Demetrius and Chloe project a few months ago and finding a “Big-Lipped Alligator Moment” that I truly believed I wouldn’t have cut out if I hadn’t watched NC rip moments like that apart in movies. I know it sounds really weird crediting a web series with bettering my writing about as much as my college career did, but…hey, it’s true. Beneath the jokes and the sometimes (though rarely) heavy-handed schtik beats the heart of an intellectual lover of fiction, and it shows in the series’ writing. And a passionate person is as great a teacher as someone with a degree.

And I am talking way too much about how NC personally affected my life.

Come on, Dee, this is a blog, not a diary, get your head in the game!

Anyway, regardless of my own creative hard on for the series, I strongly suggest that people who haven’t seen it should give it a shot. I suppose it’s not for everyone (my old roommate hated it. But he also liked Batman and Robin, so…), but it’s a show worth checking out, even if it’s just to point at the screen, laugh, and say, “Hey, I remember that movie!”

Doug Walker already posted his personal favourite Top 11 on the website, and as an homage to the show that influenced me and entertained me for so long, I wanted to make a Top 11 list of my own favourites. So, without further ado/fangirl preaching, here are my Top 11 Favourite Nostalgia Critic Episodes.

Why Top 11? Because NC likes to go one step beyond, and thoroughly expects his fans to do the same!




I am going to point out that there’s going to be a lot of grouping together (or “cheating” as some may call it) on this list, and to that I say…deal with it. There are three Nostalgic Commercial episodes, and they’re hilarious. Doug Walker is 6 years older than me, so I don’t remember quite a few of the commercials he mentions, but the ones I do remember I really appreciated. This is on the list mainly because the Commercial episodes spawned some of the funniest jokes in the series to me. And also, at the end of the first one, he parodies Poor Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas. If I ever met Doug Walker, no matter what the setting, I would have to give him a bone-crushing hug for that alone. That aside, the Commercial episodes were just plain fun to watch. It was like sitting in the living room with a close friend, enjoying a lazy day in front of the TV and being snarky.

And, of course, I have to say it…FUCKING BUBBLES!


...ugh.

            I love this review because I have always hated this movie for the reasons NC illustrates. I know I’m going to be crucified for this, but I can’t fucking stand this movie. This review is great because of the effort that’s put into it. When I’ve shown this episode to NC newcomers in the past, they have a hard time getting past all of the shtik. They don’t know who the people in the cameos are, which is why I think they lose interest. But for me, it’s a ton of fun to watch NC spread his wings a little and write songs. Plus it’s a ton of fun to watch the character of NC interact with others. I also like how at the end, NC still despises this movie, and Lindsay and Brentalfloss admit its faults, but love it anyway. No one I know acknowledges Moulin Rouge as a great movie, or a good movie, or even a decent movie. They love it either because of or despite its glaring faults. Anyway, this review cracks me up and NC really shines in it.


...AAAAHHHHH!!!

            Okay, this one is all personal. As far as NC episodes go, this one is pretty basic, although he’s at a convention and I love that this review ran on the joke that the movie was so bad it forced him into existential crisis. But the real reason I love this review? He was at Animarathon. In BG. At our Student Union. Friends of mine waved at the camera. And my friend Tommy got punched in the face.

            I am still kicking myself for not going to Animarathon that year.

…Woops…did I just use a real name and not a pseudonym on my blog? Eh, I’m sure Tommy won’t mind. He got punched in the face by the fucking Nostalgia Critic. I’m pretty sure he can die happy no matter what now.



            This review is different for me because it was one of the very rare times that NC and I weren’t on the same page. I love this movie. And though I definitely acknowledge its glaring plot holes and, er, “liberties” taken in regards to a person’s subconscious/reality in general, I don’t really find it be a pretentious movie, and definitely not exploitive. I understand how people can see it that way, though. I’ve never seen The Cell as particularly reaching to be artistic and deep and edgy. I just kind of looked at it as visually letting loose. And though watching it made me a little sad, I still laughed. A lot. Especially with the “Be Disturbed” button. Though now I can’t watch the movie without thinking, ‘Oh, dear GOD, Vince Vaughn, close your fucking lips already!’



            Ferngully was the review that really cemented my love for this series. It also introduced me to Nostalgia Chick, whom I love. It was also the birth of the Big-lipped Alligator Moment, which I’ve mentioned in this blog before. Also, I absolutely adore their facial expressions. That’s how I imagine I look when I’m  watching a truly horrible movie.

hate.....haaaaate....HAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!


            Yep, here it is…the infamous NC review of Batman and Robin. This is probably the most well-known and oft-quoted review of this series. There’s good reason for this. First and foremost, this movie is one of the worst ever created. I hated it even when I was a child. Every one of NC’s jokes is absolutely spot on. I adore this review, as do most NC fans. Watch it. Love it. But for the love of God, can we please stop screaming “A BAT CREDIT CARD?!” Yes, it’s funny, but we seriously need to leave it to the expert. In fact, the only reason this review isn’t in the Top 5 is because of that damn joke being so overdone.


Sorry, Jack...Heath wins.

            This was NC’s first Old vs New installment, which I love. And though I strongly disagree with a lot of points NC makes in this one, I absolutely love, love, love, LOVE listening to him talk about these two films. I love them both, obviously The Dark Knight has my heart, but I love hearing them discussed.

            I’m going to have to seriously bite my tongue (er, or fingers…I’m typing…) because from the moment I saw this episode of NC, I’ve wanted to do some sort of video response to it, reviewing the two the way I see it in an NC homage of some sort. Obviously, I haven’t gotten around to it…but just watching this again makes me itch to discuss them. Must…not…debate…!

4. Signs
Uhhh...wrist penis....nose rape...?

            This one comes up right near the end of the series, and I adore it. This is another one of those movies that I hated when it came out and couldn’t understand why everybody else loved it. When I watched this review, I released a mental breath I had apparently been holding since the damn movie came to theatres. I’m not alone! I’m not the only person who fucking hates this movie! And the review itself is so funny it’s ridiculous. I actually sent it to a friend of mine who is terrified of aliens because of this movie, and she loved it. We still randomly text “DUKO!” (wood) to each other.




            I know I mentioned one of these already, but the rest of them are amazing, too. The Old vs New Installment is one of my favourite things NC ever did, and I really wish he had done more, especially with all of these ridiculous remakes (just saw a preview for RED FUCKING DAWN). I just love hearing NC just kind of go on about movies. When I’m craving intellectual film talk and nobody’s around, I almost always head to his 10 Commandments/Prince of Egypt episode or his Manhunter/Red Dragon episode. They’re not focused on jokes quite as much, but they definitely still have wit and funny moments. But really what gets me about them is the mind behind them. He talks film in intellectual terms, but without sounding like a pretentious ass hat (sorry, film major friends, but…yeah.) Check them out, thank me later.

2. IT


            I fucking adore this episode. Adore it. The jokes, the Stephen King drinking game, the jabs at the ridiculous plotline, the way it’s edited, I just love it. It’s a movie that didn’t scare me in the least, but scared everyone around me. Grown adults I know are still afraid of it. This review nails why I find it the least frightening thing I’ve ever seen, and how I felt when he ended up being a giant spider. And this review is just damn fun to watch. One of the most genuinely entertaining things NC has ever done.

            And I am game whenever anyone wants to play the Stephen King Drinking Game. Any time.

1. Top 11 Lists
(the link is for Dumbasses in Distress, one of my favies, but there are a ton more)     
     
http://marobot.deviantart.com/
Yeah, I know, I’m sorry, it’s a cheat, but if I didn’t group the Top 11s together, they’d make up the majority of the list. I just love NC’s Top 11 lists. They’re just fucking awesome. You can tell he put a ton of thought into them, the jokes are fantastic, and I can’t ever watch one without going “HA! I TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT!”

      Biggest mindfucks, best clichés, most awesome movie themes, best Batman the Animated Series episodes (oh, yes, that’s a favourite)…there’s a list for practically everything, and they’re all amazing. These, in my opinion, are where NC really hits an incredible stride. They aren’t the regular format, so I suggest you check out others on this list as well, but don’t skip the Top 11s. Ever!

      Well, there you have it. (Some of) my favourite episodes from one of the best web series I’ve come across. I’m going to miss the Nostalgia Critic, a lot, but honestly, I can’t wait to see what Doug Walker does in the future. He is an immensely talented individual, and I’m sure he won’t disappoint. Cheers to the Nostalgia Critic. It was a great run!



Comments

Popular Posts